HOW TRASH BECOMES THE PROBLEM
Facts About Disposable Products:
• Approximately 64 billion paper cups and plates are discarded every year in the US.
• Approximately 73 billion styrofoam plates and cups are discarded every year in the US.
• Approximately 190 billion plastic containers and bottles are discarded every year in the US.
Problems With Disposable Products:
• Paper products are made from wood fiber and this causes the destruction of millions of acres of forests.
• Plastic and styrofoam products are made from petroleum-based chemicals, causing pollution, and they are non-biodegradable.
A GREAT SOLUTION
LIFEPACK produces packaging (plates, cups, sleeves, boxes etc.) made of natural fibers (pineapple crown) and local seeds that can germinate and are 100% biodegradable. After use, they can germinate into new plants (strawberries, flowers, tomatoes, herbs, etc); close to 70% of the packaging can germinate after one week. This helps to reduce GHG emissions because Lifepack products replace polymer products such as plastic, styrofoam, and conventional paper.
HOW DOES IT WORK?
When consumers use LPK (Lifepack) germinable products, they are helping the environment. The products contain seeds which can be planted in several scenarios such as local landscapes, community gardens and urban spaces after use.
HOW TO PLANT A DISH
Avoid putting the germinable products in the microwave; this would kill seeds and no longer germinate.
Place a “matera” or “pot” with a first layer of earth (ground).
Remove the “film or biofilm” dish.
Then enter the plate on top of the layer of earth (ground).
Cover the dish with another very thin layer of soil; no more than 3 mm.
Water frequently but with little water so that the soil is moist.
Place the seed in a place with plenty of light and air.
Wait one to three weeks to get a plant.
Not all dishes germinate; remember, in them is a living being that depends on conditions of light, moisture, nutrients to germinate.
The fact that the plate is germinable reduces levels of CO2 and O2 generation.
You can build a garden in your home, some dishes have seeds and aromatic species (thyme, bay leaf, basil, mint, etc.).
If you do not want to plant the plate, just throw it with other organic waste and it will biodegrade in 3-6 weeks ,and most likely will germinate in the landfill.